I’m no different than anyone else. Constantly fretting about dinner. It seems like I haven’t even eaten breakfast yet and the looming question is in my head…What am I going to make for dinner?!
So one night I randomly had a pound of ground turkey leftover at the cafe. I brought it home and was like whatever maybe I’ll make meatballs or something. Well one thing leads to another and it’s after soccer and I have exactly one hour until Elias’s bedtime. CRAP. So I did what every good mother does and started frantically scouring the cupboards. Random jar of alfredo, weird but ok. Can of green beans, Elias LOVES green beans! Lentil pasta, awesome. Ok here we go! And thus the weeknight skillet was born. Now I always have a few jars of any sauce on hand, pasta, some kind of meat, and a few veggies. Remember ground meat can even be cooked from FROZEN. WHAT?!!!! Yes.
I was telling my Mom about it and she was like that sounds delicious! Send me the recipe!
Ummmm recipe? Ha ha ha ha ha So I developed a recipe but seriously just do whatever you want! My Mom loves a good recipe and I have since shared with some friends and it is so simple yet so flavorful they love it!
My next variation? A Lasagna inspired one! Ground beef, some sausage, marinara, peppers, onion, add some ricotta and voila! I can’t wait to make it! Let me know in the comments what variations you have tried!
Spices used in this meal…
30 min Skillet
- 1 lb ground meat or meat substitute of choice
- 1 box Pasta of choice (box should be roughly 8-12oz)
- 1 15oz jar Sauce of choice (alfredo, marinara, vodka etc)
- 1-2 cups Cut up Vegetables (zuchinni, summer squash, green beans, peppers, onion, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots etc)
- 2 TBSP Rachel's Spice Co Mediterranean Seasoning
- 1 TBSP Rachel's Spice Co Granulated Garlic
- 1/2 TBSP Rachel's Spice Co Loaded Salt and Pepper OR Camp Salt and Pepper
- Optional: Freshly ground black pepper to taste and freshly grated parm cheese
- Chop veggies of choice, set aside.
- Fill large pot with heavily salted water. Put in high heat.
- Heat large skillet and spray pan with non stick spray (unless using non stick pan) and place meat or meat substitute in pan. Put over medium heat and use spatula or spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Add 2 TBSP Mediterranean seasoning to meat.
- When water boils cook the pasta according to instructions. This dish works with whatever pasta your family enjoys. My family eats lentil pasta but regular pasta, gluten free pasta etc works great too,If you are looking to eliminate the pasta for low carb purposes replace the pasta with zucchini spirals or cauliflower. (cook these accordingly)
- When the meat is done cooking, drain in a colander.
- When the pasta is done cooking, drain in a colander.
- Meanwhile, after the meat is done cooking using butter or oil of choice cook your chopped veggies in the same pan that you just cooked the meat. Once the veggies are soft add the meat, granulated garlic, loaded salt and pepper, freshly ground pepper, and sauce of choice and heat through.
- Portion pasta into dishes as desired (or pasta substitute).
- Once the meat and veggie mixture is hot, spoon over the pasta.
- Garnish with fresh parm (optional)
- Ideas: Ground Turkey with Alfredo and squashGround Beef with Marinara and green beans Ground Chicken with Alfredo and broccoliMeatless Crumbles with marinara and zucchiniThe possibilities are endless, use what you have on hand!